Preoperative Instructions – IV Sedation
If you have any questions about these instructions prior to surgery, please reach out to our staff at Oral Surgery on Merivale. We will also go over these instructions and provide you with any additional information you need during your pre-surgery visit.
- Do not have anything to EAT 8 hours before your surgery time. Water (up to 2 cups maximum) is allowed up to 2 hours prior to surgery.
- Take any regular medication as you normally would. If prescribed preoperative medication, please take 1 day prior to surgery, or as directed by the Oral Surgeon.
- If you wear contact lenses, please leave them at home.
- Brush your teeth, rinse your mouth, but do not swallow.
- Since bathing may not be possible up to 24 hours after surgery, we recommend that you bathe prior to surgery; this will also promote relaxation.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Be sure to wear a short-sleeved top to allow access to your arm where an intravenous injection is usually given, and to attach the monitors.
- Your surgery can take up to 1 hour and after recovery you will need someone to take you home.
- You are not able to drive for 24 hours. You must be accompanied by and arrange for transportation to and from the clinic with another responsible adult. Under NO circumstances will you drive home following IV sedation. You must arrange for a responsible adult to remain with you for the appropriate time following IV sedation surgery.
- You may be given a prescription following your surgery, which must be filled on your way home.
- It is normal to require 3 to 4 days for recovery, before resuming normal activities (exercise, work, etc.). Please plan accordingly.
- NO Perfume, as we are a fragrance-free office due to allergies.
Get In Touch
If you have any questions, please call our office to speak with our qualified staff that will be happy to assist you.
IV Sedation – Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment. If having ORAL SEDATION, we ask that you please arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time.